Ambitious, aspiring, enterprising describe a person who wishes to rise above his or her present position or condition. The ambitious person wishes to attain worldly success, and puts forth effort toward this end: ambitious for social position.
What is an example of ambitious?
The definition of ambitious is to be very driven, eager and motivated. An example of someone ambitious is someone who sets a goal to break a world record.
What is antonym for ambition?
ambition. Antonyms: indifference, inappetency, contentment, moderation. Synonyms: aspiration, emulation, appetition.
What is ambitious in my own words?
1 : possessing a desire for success, honor, or power. 2 : not easily done or achieved She has an ambitious plan to become a doctor.
Why is too much ambition bad?
Finding the balance Clearly, some amount of ambition is good for your motivation. Without any ambition, you wouldn’t start your own business, set or achieve goals and get very far in life. But an excess of ambition can also be dangerous, putting you at risk of burnout, stubbornness and even a shorter life.
How can I stop being so ambitious?
Here’s how to cope with your ambition issues and negate the negative side effects of ambition:
- Step 1: Slow down. Identify opportunities throughout your day to decelerate.
- Step 2: Enjoy. Dive into simple pleasures.
- Step 3: Give thanks.
- Step 4: Donate time.
- Step 5: Dream anew.
What is a good ambition in life?
Ambition is when you have the desire and determination to achieve great things. Ambitious people use hard work and focus to find success in their work and personal lives. They have an inner drive that helps them stay motivated when working toward their goals.
Is ambitious a positive word?
The word ambitious can be used to describe both positive and the negative traits of someone’s personality, depending on context.
What do you call someone who is not ambitious?
Definitions of unambitious. adjective. having little desire for success or achievement. synonyms: ambitionless shiftless. lacking or characterized by lack of ambition or initiative; lazy.
Is it OK to lack ambition?
Ambition is not an inborn trait. It can be learned and cultivated, the same as any other positive trait. A lack of ambition can certainly be overcome. The possible irony, though, is that overcoming a lack of ambition requires a certain amount of ambition itself.
How do you date an ambitious man?
7 Tips for Dating Someone Ambitious
- 1) They will choose work over a date night.
- 2) Don’t be intrusive.
- 3) We grind together, we eat together.
- 4) Our minds are always in overdrive.
- 5) We don’t deal well with crazy emotions.
- 6) Accept that you will be loved differently.
- 7) Do not make us choose.
What kind of person is ambitious?
1. They set goals but don’t share them. Ambitious people are goal-oriented and are always striving towards the next accomplishment, but healthy ambition involves keeping your goals private, said entrepreneur Derek Sivers in a 2010 TED Talk “Keep Your Goals To Yourself.”
What is your ambition in life examples?
Some examples of ambition that you might provide during an interview include productivity, efficiency, collaboration, or goal-setting. Perhaps you helped your previous employer increase their marketing reach, overall revenue, or other important qualitative or quantitative metrics.
What does excessive ambition mean?
Adj. 1. overambitious – excessively ambitious. ambitious – having a strong desire for success or achievement.
How do you use the word ambitious?
Ambitious sentence example
- She was ambitious , driven by her need for power.
- I make sure ambitious people like you don’t mess up this world.
- Truly, we are deep thinkers, we are ambitious spirits!
- The themes of all his more ambitious poems can be traced to Chaucerian sources.
Why is Macbeth’s ambition bad?
Ambition. Although he is encouraged by the Witches, Macbeth’s true downfall is his own ambition. Lady Macbeth is as ambitious as her husband, encouraging him to commit murder to achieve their goals. Both Macbeths fail to see how their ambition makes them cross moral lines and will lead to their downfall.
How do you deal with an overly ambitious employee?
If you find yourself dealing with an overly ambitious employee, remember these tips.
- Be Delicate in Addressing the Situation.
- Firmly Redirect Their Focus.
- Appreciate the Enthusiasm.
- Create a System for Expressing Ideas.
- Assess Job Satisfaction.
- Allow Room for Creativity.
Is it good to be ambitious at work?
In the workplace, this desire mixes with action to propel you to new career heights. Being ambitious at work is a good thing. Managers like ambitious employees because of their enthusiasm and drive, characteristics that often lead to higher productivity, which is always good for the bottom line.
What is the ill effects of being unduly ambitious?
Answer: A lack of ambition makes us stay in jobs we hate, cling to bad relationships or neglect our physical and emotional well-being. It hinders progress and causes people to sleepwalk through life with no direction and absent intention or drive to find a map.
Can you ever be too ambitious Macbeth?
His tremedous desire for power constantly pushes Macbeth. Macbeth is both too ambitious and too trusting, but I would say that neither is his flaw exactly. His flaw is that he is too easily manipulated. The witches and his wife about able to make him dance like a puppet.
Is being ambitious a strength?
Strength: Ambition and an intense work ethic. “Generally, having ambition at work is great because are more productive and have a goal,” says Scott Rawitscher, owner of Collaborative Business Solutions. It’s important ambitious people to be realistic about the amount of time it takes to reach career goals.
What are the types of ambition?
The Two Types of Ambition:
- Extrinsic Ambition. For example, a musician who is motivated by extrinsic rewards such as awards, charts, money, and the lure of recognition/fame.
- Intrinsic Ambition. For example a musician who focusses on goals that mean something to them as an individual.
What is the difference between passion and ambition?
It manifests in persistence, a willingness to deal with challenges, a desire to share the passion with others, and a feeling of being more fulfilled as a result of association with the focus of the passion. In contrast, ambition is about individual achievement. Passion without ambition will limit achievement.