Definitions of smart aleck. an upstart who makes conceited, sardonic, insolent comments. synonyms: weisenheimer, wise guy, wiseacre, wisenheimer.
Is smart alec an insult?
A smart aleck, also spelled smart alek or smart alec, is someone whose sarcastic, wisecracking, or humorous manner is delivered in an offensive, obnoxious, or cocky way.
What is the origin of smart aleck?
However, a professor at the Missouri University of Science and Technology discovered that the term actually was derived from a real-life person named Alec who was a con man that thought he was smarter than everyone else. Alec Hoag was a pimp who lived in New York City in the 1840s.
Is smart aleck a character trait?
A person regarded as annoyingly self-assertive, especially for making impudent displays of knowledge. One who is given to obnoxious or insolent humor; a wise guy. One who is obnoxiously self-assured; a show off. That is characteristic of a smart aleck.
What is another word for a wise guy?
What is another word for wise guy?
|wise-guy||smarty or smartie|
What means aleck?
: an obnoxiously conceited and self-assertive person with pretensions to smartness or cleverness.
Why do they say Smart Alec?
The police soon discovered Hoag was cheating them out of their share by this new tactic and arrested Hoag and Melinda. Hoag promptly escaped from prison, with the help of his brother, but was eventually recaptured. Alec Hoag was then given the nickname “Smart Alec” by the police for being too smart for his own good.
What is the opposite of a smart aleck?
▲ (earnest) Opposite of treating serious issues with inappropriate humor. earnest. sincere. humble.
How do you deal with smart aleck?
Three ways to deal with smart aleck comments or rude behavior are to:
- Ignore It: I recently heard the author of Open Leadership.
- Kill Them with Kindness: Follow Gandhi’s advice and “Be the change you want to see in the world.” When they’re rude to you, be polite to them.
How do I print with Smart Alec?
Print from an Android Device
- Open the document you want to print and tap More Options (3 dots in upper right corner).
- Select Print.
- Tap the drop down menu in the upper right corner.
- Select Smart Alec Printer.
- Tap the printer icon.
- Tap OK.
- Open the Smart Alec app to confirm the document is in the queue.
What do you call someone who is smart and funny?
brainiac. noun. informal humorous someone who is extremely clever.
What are synonyms for sassy?
synonyms for sassy
What is a wise guy slang?
wiseguy in American English (ˈwaɪzˌgaɪ ) noun Slang. a person who is brashly and annoyingly conceited, knowing, etc.; smart aleck.
What does cheeky mean in British slang?
Cheeky: To be cheeky is to be flippant or somewhat of a smart aleck. Considering British humor, I’d say most people here are a bit cheeky.
How do you pronounce aleck?
What is the meaning of smartly dressed?
/ˈsmɑːrtli/ in a way that looks clean and neat; in fashionable and/or formal clothes. smartly dressed Topics Clothes and Fashionb1.
Is smart aleck an idiom?
This idiom has been used since at least the late 1800s. The American Dictionary and Cyclopedia, of 1896, defines smart alec as “a pretended wiseacre; a stupid fool who imagines he is smart.”
When someone is being a smartass?
The definition of a smart ass is a person who makes comments he thinks are clever or funny but which are usually unwanted or undesired by others. An example of a smart ass is someone who always has to make sarcastic comments in answer to simple questions.
Who is a wiseacre?
: one who pretends to knowledge or cleverness especially : smart aleck.
How do I stop being so smart mouth?
How to Curb a Smart Mouth
- Imagine you’re stepping off a cliff.
- Employ the two-second rule.
- Think of the effect your words will have on the recipient.
- Ask a trusted friend for his or her opinion.
- Practice before you need to deliver.
- Write it down first.
- Remember that a smart mouth lives forever on the Internet.
How do you respond to a smart mouth?
Continue to stay calm and focused. Remove yourself from interacting with smart-mouthed people. Simply don’t talk to them. This act demonstrates to these people that there are consequences for their behavior, and it does so without shouting or aggressive threatening.
How do you deal with a smart colleague?
8 Tips For Dealing With A Know-It-All Coworker
- Do you have a coworker who thinks he knows everything?
- Be empathetic.
- Pick your battles.
- Lead by example.
- Be armed with your own facts.
- Keep your sense of humor.
- Ask probing questions.
- Take the person aside and offer constructive feedback on their behavior.
How do I use Smart Alec library?
- Download Smart Alec App from the Google Play Store.
- If asked for payment, click “skip.”
- Login to your account.
- Open document/file you want to print.
- Select “Share” option and then “Print.” Some apps just have a “print” button and no “share.”
How do I get my wireless printer to work?
How do you use a library printer?
How can you tell if someone is intelligent?
So here are a few signs of an intelligent person, according to experts.
- You’re Empathetic & Compassionate.
- You’re Curious About The World.
- You’re Observant.
- You Have Self-Control.
- You Have A Good Working Memory.
- You Recognize Your Limits.
- You Like To Go With The Flow.
- You’re Passionate About Things That Really Interest You.
What do you call someone that knows everything?
A person who knows everything : Omniscient.